The Active Directory is a depository of all information computers, users, and services and the Active Directory users and computers are the container of all the information about the users and computers and more than the information, you can manage users and computer accounts through this management tool whether you create, remove or manage users. In this article, I’ll show you how to create users, computer accounts in Windows server 2016.
Create Users and Computers in Server 2016
#1: Create users
1. Open Server Manager and click on Tools tab then select Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. Expand the server node and click on the Users node, when you see all the default users and groups just click on the Create a new User button on the top as shown to create a new user account.
3. Enter the user details like name, last name, logon name etc. The logon name is the name that you want to logon to the network through, you will be given an email address in the network like mine is firstname.lastname@example.org as shown then hit Next.
4. Now enter a complex password then confirm your password and below the password box you’ll see some options that should know them;
- User must change the password at next logon; is used when you create a user and give a simple password as a network administrator then you want the user to change the password at first logon.
- User cannot change password; is used when you don’t want a user to change his account password.
- Password never expires; is used when you don’t want users to change the password frequently. Most organizations force the users to change the password after a particular time. It is good to have the most secure account.
- Account is disabled; is used when you want to disable unused accounts. Leave the first option selected and hit Next.
5. When the user is created in Users container, finish the wizard by clicking on the Finish button.
#2: Create group
After creating users, now it’s time to create the groups we need for our specific team, location or jobs. Groups are created for simplifying the management. When you create a group, specify some people as member of that group, you give some rights to that group instead giving ever single user that right. Members of the group is not users only, they can be admins. You can make a group member of other group which is called nesting-group.
1. In order to create a group click on the Users node, then click on Create a new group button on the top as shown.
2. Enter the group name and you’ll see group scopes are available, select the Global scope. It is used when you want to make a group according to geography, common job, department, functions. Now choose the Group type (Security option: It is used when you want to specify which group can have access to which resource.
#3: Group Membership
1. If you want someone to be member of a group, you can do it from user properties > member of and make it member of a group. Also you can go to group properties > members and add a user. I follow the first way, right-click on the user and select Properties.
2. Here click on the Member Of tab then click on the Add button to add your account to a group.
3. Type name of the group in the box as shown then click on the OK button.
4. And now you’re in the group of KabulUsers. Now just click on the OK button to finish the wizard and apply the function.
Conclusion: Active Directory Users and Groups is an important title in network. I hope you learn this easy steps, how to create users and computer accounts. For advanced details of the users and groups, other articles will be published here. For any question leave a comment.