Searching for how to the backup server?
Everyone cares about the data he has and to save it from danger or accident, you need to have a backup of it otherwise even it is not granted a minute. What the benefits of backup are insufficiently you know or might have experienced, and here are they: convenience, safety, ease of recovery, ease of access, affordability etc for e.g: it protects operating system, system state, files, folders, application data, etc and if you lose all of them, you are comfortable because you’re able to restore them again from the backup.
Also, you can perform one-time full backup or schedule backup and you can store backup files in the internal hard drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, DVD. If you use a USB flash as a backup storage, be sure it is NTFS format and a USB flash drive is suitable for one-time backup, for scheduled backup storage use the hard drive or portable/external hard drive but I recommend backing on external hard disk and its the best way because if you lost your data from internal drive then you can recover it back from external hard drive. If the backup plan is scheduled, the server will automatically backup the server in a specified time and specified the place. While last time server takes a backup, as a result the previous backup files will be replaced by the new one. In this article, I show you how to backup windows server 2016 step by step.
Backup Windows Server 2016 Step by Step
Before we start, you need to plan where and how the backup should perform for e.g: where to store the backup files, where to backup whether one drive or whole system and should the backup be scheduled or perform once now.
#1 Install Windows Server Backup Feature
1. At the first step, what we need to do is install the Windows Server Backup feature in order to backup the server. Open Server Manager, click on Manage and select Add roles and features, skip the welcome page by hitting Next then hit Next>Next>Next until the Features page appears. On the Select Features page, scroll down and choose Windows Server Backup feature then hit Next button. The Windows Server Backup is not a role, it is a feature, so don’t get confused.
2. No reboot is needed for this feature installation, hit the Install button, it takes a while, be patient!
#2 Create a Backup Plan/Backup system
1. Once the Windows Server Backup feature installation finished, you’re ready to create a backup plan means you can backup now, before doing that put a glance down on backup plans and decide which one to do.
- Full Server (All volumes): If you choose the option, you backup all files and it is the best option.
- Critical Volume: choose this option to backup some critical files and folders.
- System State: Choose this option to backup files that are needed for system state recovery.
- Individual Volumes: You can backup one volume by choosing this option.
- Folders and files: You can backup single folders and files choosing this option.
2. Now that you’ve selected a backup plan you’re prompted to do a backup, to do that;
open Server Manager and click on Tools then click on the Windows Server Backup option from drop-down list to open backup server.
3. When the Windows Server Backup opened, on the Action side bar three option are available, Backup schedule, backup once and recover and schedule backup: it creates a time-based backup upon the schedule means the server automatically takes backup in the specified time and the Backup once option is for one-time backup so, select Backup once option because here we’ll backup once to show you on.
4. On the Backup options page, two options are available, choose the Different options. This option is used when you haven’t created schedule yet. then, hit Next.
5. As mentioned before, the Full server backup does a full server backup, by choosing this, you backup everything on the server. If you don’t like to do that, a Custom option is available to let you specify some of the folders, files, etc to backup.
6. Specify the Destination drive you want to save backup files, so, I select the Local drives in order to select the hard drive I want in the next step.
7. Here try to save the files to a separate hard drive, you can’t save backup files in C:\ drive, there for save it in another place. If you choose a local drive, certainly backup server give you warning that the drive is in the backup list. I don’t pay attention to because I have created a separate drive for the backup files, you do so.
9. Finally, we are done, begin the backup process by clicking on Backup button and take a rest. Certainly, it takes a while but it depends on your files, folders…
So, we did windows server backup successfully and you learned how to backup windows server fully. Don’t worry if you don’t know how to use the backup files means to restore them, We are here to show you. I show how to use them in next articles. For any question about taking a backup, feel free and leave a comment.