Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol used in Internet Protocol (IP) networks. Server that supports the protocol is called DHCP server. As its name indicates, DHCP server dynamically distributes IP for network interfaces and devices. When somebody sends a request for IP, DHCP server distributes IP address based on the DHCP server configurations. DHCP is a role in Windows server 2016.
In this article you learn how to install and configure DHCP server on Windows Server 2016. Let me tell you that you can install DHCP server role on Windows server 2008, 2012 and 2012R2.
Assign Static IP Sddress to Server
Static IP address is needed for server. Because other computers need to have access to the server. If it is changed, client computers can’t find the server.
1. Right-click on the Network icon on the Desktop. Select Properties. On the top-right side click on the network card.
2. Click on the Properties button.
3. Select Internet Protocol version 4, click on Properties button. When a new window opens, enter this IP address: 192.168.10.1 , and DNS Server and click Ok.
Now your server is ready for DHCP role installation.
Install DHCP Server Graphically
1. Now open Server Manager tool and click on the Add role and features.
2. Skip the Before you begin page clicking on the Next button. On this page, select the server that you want to use it as DHCP server.
3. Select the DHCP Server role for installation. When a new window opens and asks you for permission to install more needed features, in order to work the DHCP server correctly, click on the Add Features button then click on the next button.
4. No additional feature is needed to be installed, click on the Next button. DHCP Server page gives you some critical information about DHCP server. Read the information and hit Next.
5. Installation Confirmation page gives you the option to install the role. Click on the Install button. It takes some time, the role to be installed on your server. When the installation finished, click on the Complete DHCP Configuration for DHCP configurations.
Install through PowerShell
1. Press window button. Right-click on Windows PowerShell. Click on Run as administrator.
2. Install-WindowsFeature is the cmdlet that used for installing roles and feature on Windows server. After that type -Name. You need to type name of what role or feature you want install the server. -IncludemanegementTools parameter for installing management tools. Install-WindowsFeature just installs the core services. Then press Enter button.
Be patient for a while. After a while DHCP server will be installed on the server.
The installing the DHCP server reaches to the end. Follow the steps, you surely can do that confidently. For questions, feel free and leave a comment below the article. As soon as possible I answer your questions.
Refer to this article to learn how to configure DHCP server.