There are different types and ways of backups introduced in Windows 10 as previously we discussed backing up with OneDrive and here we will discuss about file history backup. Reappearing again in windows 10, it is one of the useful and important solutions. File History Settings is a new automated feature for continuously protecting your personal files stored in several key locations. Anytime your personal files change or lost, there will be a copy stored on a dedicated, external storage device of your choice. To set up file history you need the following requirements:
- An External Hard Drive: To backup your files using file history settings you need an external hard drive that file history will detect and complete the backup in it.
- Enable File History: After enabling file history option, you can remember that my files are backing, but what’s backing? By default, enabling File History will backup only the contents of one drive(C:) but you can change them later and set the timing or do more settings.
Ok, now that you have got this, it’s time to configure file settings in windows, so let’s get started.
Configure & Backup Files using File History
Before getting started, connect the external drive to your computer and make sure its working fine.
1. Open Settings> Update & Security> Backup and click on Add a drive. After clicking, select the external drive you want to backup windows in it.
2. When the automatically backup enabled, click on More options to setup the file history options.
3. Ok, now set the backup options, however, you want like for e.g: the timing and the files versions. Also, you can choose another drive to backup or exclude any folder but remember that you can backup only one drive. To choose another drive to backup just click on Add a folder select the drive and click choose this folder or to exclude any folder scroll down to end the and click on Add a folder and choose the folder.
Notice: The File History Backup can contain only one drive or one drive contents and no more than one drive.
4. Also you can stop using this drive & choose another drive for backup, see advanced options and restore files from a current backup. Ok, after the settings finished, scroll up and click Backup now then wait until the backup finish.
When the backup finished successfully, open file explorer and check the back up on your external device.
Restore Files From Backup using File History
After the backup completed successfully, you are ready for the worst and unfortunaly if you’ve lost your files so you can restore your data with the backup again with the same versions.
1. Goto Settings> Update & Security> Backup>More options and scroll down and click Restore Files from a current backup.
2. When the File History Home window opened, wait a while and then you can see the files you had lost, now browse the file and select the files with versions so to do that: select the file and click on the green restore button to restore the file with that version.
Finally, you’ve got your files from the backup with the latest version you wanted. So this was all about configuring file history or backup & restore using file history, if you have any question or suggestion, feedback share with us freely.