The Active Directory is a depository of all information computers, users, and services and the Active Directory users and computers are the container of all the information about the users and computers and more than the information, you can manage users and computer accounts through this management tool whether you create, remove or manage users. In this article, I’ll show you how to create users, computer accounts in Windows server 2016.
Create Users and Computers in Server 2016
#1: Create users
1. Open Server Manager and click on Tools tab then select Active Directory Users and Computers.
2. Expand the server node and click on the Users node, when you see all the default users and groups just click on the Create a new User button on the top as shown to create a new user account.
3. Enter the user details like name, last name, logon name etc. The logon name is the name that you want to logon to the network through, you will be given an email address in the network like mine is [email protected] as shown then hit Next.
4. Now enter a complex password then confirm your password and below the password box you’ll see some options that should know them;
User must change the password at next logon; is used when you create a user and give a simple password as a network administrator then you want the user to change the password at first logon.
User cannot change password; is used when you don’t want a user to change his account password.
Password never expires; is used when you don’t want users to change the password frequently. Most organizations force the users to change the password after a particular time. It is good to have the most secure account.
Account is disabled; is used when you want to disable unused accounts. Leave the first option selected and hit Next.
5. When the user is created in Users container, finish the wizard by clicking on the Finish button.
#2: Create group
After creating users, now it’s time to create the groups we need for our specific team, location or jobs. Groups are created for simplifying the management. When you create a group, specify some people as member of that group, you give some rights to that group instead giving ever single user that right. Members of the group is not users only, they can be admins. You can make a group member of other group which is called nesting-group.
1. In order to create a group click on the Users node, then click on Create a new group button on the top as shown.
2. Enter the group name and you’ll see group scopes are available, select the Global scope. It is used when you want to make a group according to geography, common job, department, functions. Now choose the Group type (Security option: It is used when you want to specify which group can have access to which resource.
#3: Group Membership
1. If you want someone to be member of a group, you can do it from user properties > member of and make it member of a group. Also you can go to group properties > members and add a user. I follow the first way, right-click on the user and select Properties.
2. Here click on the Member Of tab then click on the Add button to add your account to a group.
3. Type name of the group in the box as shown then click on the OK button.
4. And now you’re in the group of KabulUsers. Now just click on the OK button to finish the wizard and apply the function.
Conclusion: Active Directory Users and Groups is an important title in network. I hope you learn this easy steps, how to create users and computer accounts. For advanced details of the users and groups, other articles will be published here. For any question leave a comment.
After installing DNS, of course, you need to configure DNS because it is an important task to make DNS work correctly. DNS stands for Domain Naming System and the goal of DNS is to change name to IP address and and IP address to name like when you open a server or a web page, you enter a name like www.tactig.com, here the DNS server changes the name to the IP and you can visit the web page or get access to server sources. In this article, I show you how to come along to configure DNS Server fully on Windows Server.
Configure DNS Server Fully Step by Step
The DNS configuration is somehow like installing it, means you don’t need to worry or call any administrator to do it because you can do it along by this article, let’s move towards it.
1. When the DNS Server role installed, open the Server Manager window, click on tools tab that the dropdown menu appears and click on the DNS icon to open the DNS. Here I have named my server tactig-dc01.
2. At the first, what we need to do is creating a zone, it is a part of a DNS that the records are restored, for that purpose right click on your computer DNS server name and click on the New zone.
3. Skip the welcome page and on the next page, you’ll see three kinds of zone available.
Primary zone: is rewritten zone that is not copied from somewhere.
Secondary zone: is the copy of another zone, when you create a secondary zone you should copy the records from another source.
Stub zone: is providing information whatever server holds a special zone. We want to create a primary zone, then click on that then hit Next.
4. In the next page, you will be asked about replication method.
The first option, (To all DNS servers running on domain controller in this forest: <domain name> is used when you want to replicate with the domains and subdomains in the forest but that increases the network traffic.
The second option, (To all DNS servers running on domain controllers in the domain: <domain name> is used when you want you DNS server replicate with all DNS servers in in your own domain.
The third option, (To all domain controllers in this domain (for Windows 2000 compatibility): <domain name> is used when you want your server replicate with only domain controllers in your own domain. Select the 2nd option. Hit Next.
5. In the forward or reverse lookup zone page, select Forward lookup zone. The Forward lookup zone translates DNS name to IP address and the 2nd option, Reverse lookup zone translates IP to DNS name, just select Forward lookup zone then hit Next, we will configure the Reverse lookup zone later.
6. Specify a name for the zone then click on the Next button.
7. How do you want your zone contents update mode? The recommended option is Allow only secure updates. This option helps you DNS server not to be affected by spywares and viruses, select the first option and hit Next.
8. After continuing, your primary zone is created, just click on the Finish button to start working it.
Now the zone has created successfully but the DNS configuration is not done fully yet and the secondary zone as mentioned before is copy of another zone. It means you should copy the contents from somewhere else. Now I want to show you how to create a secondary zone. You need one another server, DNS server installed on. I name the new DNS server: tactig-dns02. The new server that we try to use as a second DNS server should be member of the Active Directory Directory Services. You can do that. If not read the articles about in this website.
1. Now we’ll work on tactig-dns02 server, open the DNS Manager tool and right-click on the Forward lookup zone, click on the New zone then skip the welcome page by hitting Next. In the Zone Type page, select the Secondary zone.
2. In the forward or reverse lookup zone page, select the Forward lookup zone option. It changes the DNS names to IP address. Then click on Next button.
3. Specify a name for the zone. Enter name of a zone that you’ve created before as a primary zone. Here you will have copy of the primary zone as a secondary zone.
4. In the Master DNS Servers page, you need to specify the master server. The Master server is the server that you’ve a zone out there and you want to copy its contents in your new secondary zone. Enter the master server’s IP address and the IP will be resolved. If the IP is correct, a green check mark will appear next to the IP address box then click on Next button.
5. When the Secondary zone is created, just click on the Finish button.
6. Now click on the new zone you just created, you’ll see the Red x means no content is present and not working properly as mentioned before you should copy the contents from somewhere else.
7. Go back to tactig-dns01 server, expand the Forward lookup zone mode and right-click on the zone that you want to get a copy from then select Properties.
8. Here select the Name Servers tab and add the server that you’ve installed the secondary zone on, here. When you add the name in the list you can copy the contents. For the purpose click on the Add button.
9. Type the server’s fully qualified domain name (FQDN) in the box as shown and below that box, enter the server’s IP address. When you resolve the server a message appears, don’t be worried because the message tells you that your server is not authoritative for the zone that’s what we know that. We just we want to make a copy of the zone and click on OK button.
10. Now come back to tactig-dns02 server, right-click on the zone you created and select Transfer from Master.
11. Refresh the page clicking on the Refresh button and you’ll see all the records you could see in tactig-dns01 server zone, now the secondary zone is created and configured properly.
Another next important point for the DNS configuration is that you should learn what is Reverse Lookup Zone. The Reverse Lookup Zone do opposite to what Forward Lookup Zone does means It change IP address to DNS name, when you’ve or give an IP address, it gives you the DNS name. For doing this, we need just one DNS server and I’ll use my root DNS server (tactig-dns01).
1. It is created the same as primary and secondary zones so expand the server name and right-click on the Forward Lookup Zone then select New Zone. When the page appears, skip the welcome page and select Primary zone then hit Next, leave the next step as default and hit Next. Here Select IPv4 Reverse Lookup Zone or IPv6 reverse lookup zone then hit Next, we use IPv4 version in our networks so you can choose the one you want to use.
2. At this point, the Network ID is needed for the zone, specify the Network ID then hitNext ( The Network ID is your network’s IP address.
3. Select the Allow only secure dynamic update option and click on Next button then finish the wizard to completely finish the configuration.
4. Run PowerShellas administrator. Type this command: ipconfig /registerdns. Press Enter button.
5. Refresh the Forward Reverse Zone node, you will see that an IP address is added there and you are done!
Conclusion: The DNS configuration is completely done. Yes, this was the basic configuration of DNS and the Advanced configuration of the DNS is more complicated, Practice till the time you feel you’ve already learned the configuration. For any further question leave a comment below.
When you install windows server it is just a box, nothing it there like services, if you want to use the services you should install and configure the services when you need them. The DNS stands for Domain Name System. When you create an account on a server or domain controller, your computer, and server communicates with each other by their IP addresses; you can’t remember a lot of IP addresses. Here the DNS comes to action. It means it changes the IP address to the name and name to the IP address. When you type a server name like tactig-dc01, it changes the name to IP:192.168.10.1 and vice versa. In this article, you’ll learn how to install DNS on Windows server 2016 server graphically and through PowerShell.
Topics covered in this article:
Install DNS server graphically
Install DNS server through PowerShell
Install DNS Server Graphically
1. In order to open Server Manager, press the Start Menu button; click on the Server Manager icon.
2. When the Server Manager opened, click on the Add roles and features option.
3. Skip the Before you begin page clicking on Next button. In the Select installation type page, just let Role-based or featured-based installation option selected. Click on Next button.
4. In the Select server destination server page, select the Select the server from server pool. Select the server from server pool which you want to install the DNS role on. Click on Next button.
5. Select the DNS from roles. A page will open that wants you to give permission to install management tools for DNS server. Click on Add features button. At the end click on Next button.
6. Here on the Select feature page, no feature is needed to be installed. So just hit Next. On the DNS Server page you can read some important information about the DNS server and hit Next button. Click on the Install button to install the role on the server. Be patient; it will take some time.
No reboot is needed after the role installation. So directly go toward configuring DNS server.
Install DNS server through PowerShell
You easily can install DNS server through PowerShell. If you’re preparing for MCSA or MCSE certifications, make sure that you learn this easy command line: Install-WindowsFeature DNS -IncludeManagementTools.
Install-WindowsFeature is PowerShell command which is used for installing Windows server roles and feature. After that type name of the role, in this case DNS. Install-WindowsFeature DNS command installs the core services for the DNS. You need to install the management tools. For the purpose type -IcludeManagementTools for adding management tools to the core services.
Maybe it looks scary to install DNS server through PowerShell, but is really easy. PowerShell makes your life easy.
The DNS server is now installed and ready for configuration, no reboot is needed. To configure it check out the below article and read it out. For any question, feel free and leave a comment. I would answer your questions as soon as possible. As well as, don’t forget to configure it to start and let it work otherwise you can’t.
We are done with the installation of DNS role. It is the time to move on and configure the DNS server and use the services.
Windows Windows Server 2016 installation is one of the key tasks in the network. As an administrator you should know how to install and configure Windows server. To start administrating your network, surely you first need to install Windows server and configure it. Before installing Windows server make a plan for the installation. Surely you can plug installation media (DVD, USB flash, etc) to the server and click on next button several times. Then you’re done and Windows server is installed. But that doesn’t work surely.
Make a plan
Choose an appropriate edition of the Windows server. An edition of Windows server supports specific role/roles that others doesn’t support. Think of your present needs and what you may need in the future. How many virtual machines (VM) do you need? How many VMs you may need in the future? Does your network need Web server now? What about the future? How many users work in your network? They are all the things that you should pay attention to while making a good plan for Windows server installation.
If you work on your personal lab, click on the link below to learn how to install Windows server 2016 on VMware Workstation.
Prepare the installation media (DVD, USB flash, etc) and start the installation process. If you don’t have the Windows Server 2016 installation software, click here and download the software from Microsoft website.
1. Plug the Windows Server 2016 boot drive (DVD, USB) to the computer and boot your computer. When the Windows Setup page appears, select your language, time format and keyboard then click on Next button.
2. Now click on Install now button to start the installation process.
3. Select the appropriate version of the windows server that meets your organization’s needs then click Next. Make sure that you’ve chosen an appropriate edition of Windows server.
4. Put a check mark in the box next to the I accept license terms and click on the Next button. License term is about the way you want to buy license for your server from Microsoft.
5. Select the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option for clean installation. Clean installation is the term used against upgrade. When you upgrade a Windows server you can have your settings, apps, etc from previous version of Windows. When you do the clean installation you can’t have the settings, apps, etc.
6. Select the hard drive that you want to install the windows server on, then click on the New button to do the partitions.
7. After clicking on the New button, some options appear. Specify the amount of the drive based on MB and click on the Apply button. A warning appears which wants you to give the permission to system to create a drive for system files. Click on ok button, if you want to add more drives do this process again. When finished hit Next.
8. After clicking Next the System starts coping all the files from the external drive to internal hard drive. It will take a while so be patient. Be aware that your system will be restarted several times.
9. When the system copied all the files and restarted, finalize your task by entering the required details. Type complex password (composed of uppercase, lowercase, symbol and numbers) twice in the boxes and click on the Finish button. User name is Administrator by default.
10. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del buttons to jump start the screen to a login page and inside the box below the administrator user name, enter the password and press Enter button from the keyboard to sign in the Windows.
11. After you logged in the Windows you see the some thing like the picture below. Welcome to Windows Server 2016.
Finally, we’ve installed the Windows Server 2016 successfully and is ready to work. When Windows installed you can’t go back and for example change the edition. If so, do the clean installation again. For any question leave a comment below. I answer your questions as soon as possible.
Now you need to initially configure Windows Server. Click on the link below to learn how to do the initial configurations.
Installing Windows Server 2016 upgrades us once again from Windows Server 2012/R2 that provides the latest and the essential updates we need. As well as this time, it has includes lots of new and features. In this lesson, you will learn about installing Windows Server 2016 step by step. Also, before installing, make sure you have pre-planned for selecting which edition to install and what to do in it.
Before installing Windows Server 2016 you need to plan for the installation. Making plan means you should choose an appropriate edition of Windows server. You should think of Hyper-v server you need for your network. You must choose an edition which have enough the Hyper-v license. Also think of more licenses you may need in the future.
Every edition of Windows server may support limited number of users. Choose the edition that meets your needs. When we talk about limitations, we don’t talk about software limitations. If you want more license you should pay for. You can upgrade from one edition to another edition. And you can buy more license for physical and virtual servers also users.
Windows server 2016 editions
Datacenter: Highly virtualized, enterprise network and cloud environment.
Standard: Only different with Datacenter edition is the number of Virtual servers. Datacenter edition supports more virtual servers.
Essential: For small business up to 25 users and 50 devices.
RAM memory: Minimum of 2GB
Hard Drive Space: 20GB free space
Installing Windows Server 2016 on VMware
Like the previous versions (Windows Server 2012…), the Windows Server 2016 installation is simple, what’s new is the editions that you can choose them wisely during installation.
In order to install Windows Server 2016, first, you must have an ISO image file of it and also make sure you have pre-planned choosing which edition of Windows Server 2016 and have fulfilled the system requirements.
1. Open VMware and click on the Create a New Virtual Machine(Ctrl+N) icon. If you don’t have VMware installed on your computer,click here to download one.
2. Now select Custom (Advanced) option to specify the virtual machine with advance options. If you want you can create virtual with less options, click on Typical option. When you are finished here, click on Next button.
3. Leave the Virtual Machine Hardware Compatibility settings as default. If you want you can select your VMware version. Then click Next button.
4. Here you should add an installer image into the virtual machine. Select the Installer disc image file (ISO) optionand click on the Browse button. Specify .iso file path and import it. Then click on Next button.
Note: Make sure that you are using an ISO image file, otherwise unzipped file won’t boot.
5. Specify which operating system type you want to install on the virtual machine. Select Windows Server 2016 version from the dropdown menu and click on Next button.
6. Enter a name for the virtual machine and browse a place where you want to store the installation files. For the purpose click on Browse button and specify the place. When finished, click on Next button.
7. On the Processor Configuration specify then number of processors your server need to use and click on Next button. Also notice that it refers to your virtual machine speed that how much speed the server should be.
8. Specify the amount of the memory for the virtual machine (based on MB) and click on Next button.
9. Select Use Network Address Translation(NAT) or Use bridged networking to directly connect and use internet, as a network type. Then hit Next.
10. Let the I/O Controller types by default because you don’t have the option to change the SCSI type. just hit Next.
11. Now to create new virtual disk, select create a new virtual disk for the virtual machine.
12. Specify the disk amount by typing the disk size(Recommended 60 GB) and click on Next button.
13. At this point, just check out the settings you’ve done or you can customize if you want and click Next.
Step 2. Install Windows Server 2016
Now it’s time to boot up and start the virtual machine, just click on Power on this virtual machine then wait until it boots.
1. Open VMware Workstation on your host computer. Click on Power on this virtual machine in top left.
2. When the virtual machine powered on, specify the language, time zone and keyboard then click Next.
3.Install now to install the windows server 2016 on virtual machine.
4. Select one the Windows Server editions you’ve decided and click on Next button.
5. Put a mark in the box next to I accept the license terms, then click on the Next button.
6. Go on and click on the Custom: Install Windows only (Advanced) option for installing the server custom.
7. Select the disk, you want to install the widows on and select the disk, click on New, then specify the amount (based on MB) and click on Apply button then click on Next button.
8. Now the server copies all the files to the disk, amount the files from the windows image, install features, updates, so it will take time and when finished it will reboot.
9. After the reboot, type a complex password composed of (uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers) and click on Finish button.
10. When the customization finished, now you’ll need to sign in, but first click on the button that is composed of three buttons (ctrl+alt+del) shown in image below or simply press Ctrl+Alt+Del and sign in to Windows Server.
And that’s it, after you have signed in, your windows server installation is completed like the shot below.
The Windows server 2016 is installed successfully and your server is now ready to work now. But before doing that don’t forget to install VMware tools + do initial configuration of Windows Server from the article below. For any questions, leave a comment.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Server is one of the critical parts of today’s enterprise networks. When somebody request for IP (Internet Protocol), instead of a network administrator, a server distributes IP for the device. It is more effective and less expensive. Also, DHCP server provides more information to the clients such as default gateway, subnet mask. DHCP allows hosts to acquire necessary TCP/IP configuration information from a DHCP server and do more. In order to configure DHCP Server follow the steps.
DHCP Server Post-installation configurations
After installing the DHCP role on Windows server, you need to configure DHCP server.
1. When the DHCP role installed, open Server Manager. Click on flag. Then click on Complete DHCP configuration hyperlink.
2. Skip the Description page by clicking on Next button. Now enter the credentials in both boxes, for entering the alternative credential click on Specify button and type the username and password. Make sure you use credentials that have permissions to perform these tasks. Then click on Commit button.
3. The Summary page show you the summary of post installation configurations. Click on the Close button.
Create DHCP scope
You need to create a DCHP scope. DHCP scope is the range of possible IP addresses that can be assigned to clients. Every scope defines a physical subnet.
1. Now open Server Manager and click on Tools tab then click on the DHCP to open it.
2. When the DHCP opened, expand DHCP server name and right-click on IPv4 then click on the New Scope option to create an IP scope for distribution.
3. Type an scope name. Add a description for scope. Then click Next button.
4. Specify the IP Address Range by entering the start IP Address and End IP address. The length automatically assigns, based on you IP address class and the subnet mask assigns automatically. Then click on Next button.
5. You can exclude some of the IP addresses for the servers or especial services. The IPs excluded will not be assigned automatically. IPs before and after the exclusion range are assigned. IPs excluded are assigned on servers manually. Specify the IP range you want to exclude, add the IP range and click on Next button.
6. On the Configure DHCP option page, select this option: Yes, I want to configure these options now. Clicking on Next button.
7. Enter your Router’s IP address in the box and click on add button to add the IP address. Then click on Next button.
8. DNS (Domain Name System) server translates the name to IP address and IP address to name. Type the DNS server’s name in the box. Then type IP address in the box below then click on Add button to add to the IP address. At the end click on Next button.
9. WINS Server translates NetBIOS computer name to IP address. Type WINS server name in Server name box. Type the WINS server’s IP address and click on Add button. Then click on Next button.
10. Finish the wizard clicking on Finish button.
DHCP Server Console
We are done with the creation of new scope. It is the time to know more about DHCP server console. Below the DHCP server name, you see IPv4 and IPv6 options. It means that Windows server 2016 can support both IPv4 and IPv6 versions of IP address. Expand IPv4 to see the scope you have created. Also Server Options, Policies and Filters.
Expand the scope. Things you see are these:
Address Pool: IP address range can be assigned to clients and exclusion range is listed here.
Address Leases: IP address which have been assigned to clients dynamically are listed here. IP address which have been assigned manually won’t be listed here.
Reservations: Reserved IP range is listed here.
Scope Options: Some options like Router, PXE client and etc.
Policies: Policies created for DCHP server are listed here.
DHCP has been successfully configured and ready to be used. For any question, suggestion, feel free and leave a comment. I answer your question as soon as possible.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol used in Internet Protocol (IP) networks. Server that supports the protocol is called DHCP server. As its name indicates, DHCP server dynamically distributes IP for network interfaces and devices. When somebody sends a request for IP, DHCP server distributes IP address based on the DHCP server configurations. DHCP is a role in Windows server 2016.
In this article you learn how to install and configure DHCP server on Windows Server 2016. Let me tell you that you can install DHCP server role on Windows server 2008, 2012 and 2012R2.
Assign Static IP Sddress to Server
Static IP address is needed for server. Because other computers need to have access to the server. If it is changed, client computers can’t find the server.
1. Right-click on the Network icon on the Desktop. Select Properties. On the top-right side click on the network card.
2. Click on the Properties button.
3. Select Internet Protocol version 4, click on Properties button. When a new window opens, enter this IP address: 192.168.10.1 , and DNS Server and click Ok.
Now your server is ready for DHCP role installation.
Install DHCP Server Graphically
1. Now open Server Manager tool and click on the Add role and features.
2. Skip the Before you begin page clicking on the Next button. On this page, select the server that you want to use it as DHCP server.
3. Select the DHCP Server role for installation. When a new window opens and asks you for permission to install more needed features, in order to work the DHCP server correctly, click on the Add Features button then click on the next button.
4. No additional feature is needed to be installed, click on the Next button. DHCP Server page gives you some critical information about DHCP server. Read the information and hit Next.
5. Installation Confirmation page gives you the option to install the role. Click on the Install button. It takes some time, the role to be installed on your server. When the installation finished, click on the Complete DHCP Configuration for DHCP configurations.
Install through PowerShell
1. Press window button. Right-click on Windows PowerShell. Click on Run as administrator.
2. Install-WindowsFeature is the cmdlet that used for installing roles and feature on Windows server. After that type -Name. You need to type name of what role or feature you want install the server. -IncludemanegementTools parameter for installing management tools. Install-WindowsFeature just installs the core services. Then press Enter button.
Be patient for a while. After a while DHCP server will be installed on the server.
The installing the DHCP server reaches to the end. Follow the steps, you surely can do that confidently. For questions, feel free and leave a comment below the article. As soon as possible I answer your questions.
Refer to this article to learn how to configure DHCP server.
Active Directory which is the management service in Windows Server is installed on a server that is called Domain Controller (DC). When active directory have been installed on a server. You can promote the server to a domain controller. Every network needs at lest two domain controllers. When one of them is down, the other domain controller take the place and respond to clients. The Domain controllers respond to security authentications like logging in, checking permissions, files access, system check up and many more.
When you want to log in to a server from a client computer, you should have a user name and a password. Your system will be checked to have updated anti-virus and etc.
Permissions are the level of the tasks that you can do in the domain. File access is about the level of your access to sources. These and a lot more duties are done through domain controller.
In this article, I am going to show some easy steps outlined to promote server to domain controller. First, make sure that you logged in as an administrator.
Install Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) role on the server you want to promote it to domain controller (DC).
Promote Server to Domain Controller
Follow the following steps to promote server to domain controller.
1. After the role installation, open Server Manager. Click on the flag, then click on Promote this server to a domain controller hyperlink.
2. When the Deployment Configuration page appears, you see three options.
Add domain controller to existing domain: This option is used when you want to add additional domain controller.
Add a new domain to an existing forest: This option is used for adding a new domain to existing forest.
Add a new forest: It is used for creating a new forest.
Select the third option: Add a new forest. Enter a Root domain name and click on Next button.
3. Specify the forest and domain functional levels (2008, 2008R2, 2012, 2o12R2, 2016). Type a complex password (composed of capital letters, small letters, numbers, symbols).
By default, Domain Name Services (DNS) server is installed at the same time when you are promoting the server to domain controller. If you want to install DNS server later, remove the selection from the box next to Domain Name Services (DNS) server. Click on Next button when you’re finished here.
4. On the Additional options page, let the NetBIOS domain name as selected by default. If you want, you can change the NetBIOS name. Click on Next button to move on next page.
5. Thus you can specify the path that you want to restore your Database files, log files and SYSVOL files. The path page give you the options to specify location of the sources to be restored. When you finished your work, click on Next button.
6. The next page is Review options. You go nothing to do. Click on Next button. The Prerequisites Check page shows you the summary of all prerequisites that are verified or not. If it’s verified click Next. If not, recheck the steps you did just before and be sure you have done all correctly. Click on Install button. After the installation succeeded, the system automatically reboots.
After the restart, the server is domain controller. It is really easy to promote server to domain controller (DC). Also, you can start managing and controlling users from your server. For any questions leave a comment below. I would be glad to answer your questions as soon as possible.
Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) is the center for management tasks (Users, Groups, Computers, Organizational Units, Schema) in Windows networks. You can manage the network by AD DS easily. Imagine if you were a network administrator. You could create user accounts and gave them access to special files manually. It was practical if you were engaged with less than 50 users and computers. If you were engaged with 12000 users and computers, what did you do? You can do the complete the task with AD DS easily. You create a group and add user accounts as members and define to which files the group access by installing Active Directory to manage the network easily. It is a simple task that you can do in Windows network using AD DS.
You can find every kind of information about the users, computers, hardware, software and etc in the Active Directory Domain Services. Windows Server 2016 is the latest version of Windows Server and in this article I show you how to install active directory.
Install AD DS Graphically
Follow the steps below to install Active Directory Domain Services on Windows Server 2016.
1. Press the Start Menu button and click on the Server Manager icon which is the management tool in Windows Server 2016.
2. Active Directory Domain Services is a Windows Server role. Click on Add Roles and features option to install the role.
3. In the Before you begin you have nothing to do. Click on Next button. In the Select Installation Typepage, Select the Role-based or Feature-based Installation option. Click Next onbutton.
4. Let the Select a server from the server pool option selected. Specify the server that you want to install the role on, from the Server Pool. Click on Next button.
5. Select the Active Directory Domain Services role. A new windows opens and ask you to install management tools. Installing AD DS role, you just install the core services. Click on Add Features button to install management tools. then click on Next button.
6. In the Feature page, you got nothing to do. Just click on Next button. In the Active Directory Domain Services page you can read some information about AD DS. Click on Next button to move in the next page.
7. At the last step of the Active Directory installation is the confirmation of the selections. So confirm the selection by clicking on the install button. After the installation of the role, the server needs to be rebooted. You can restart it manually or let the system decide by putting the mark on Restart the destination server automatically if required option. Click on Install button to start the installation.
Install AD DS though PowerShell
You can install AD DS through PowerShell. You need to run Install-WindowsFeature cmdlet. This cmdlet helps you to install roles and featues on Windows Server. After that, you need to type name of the feature you want to install. Type AD-Domain-Services for installing AD DS role.
While server rebooted, log in to server with your domain account. Default user name is Administrator. After that you can do post-installation configurations to promote this server to domain controller.
For any kind of question feel free and leave a comment below.