Managing network is a critical task in the networking world but not much tough with active directory. The Active Directory was first time introduced in Windows Server 2000 for centralized domain management. Before the active directory, Microsoft had introduced tools to manage users, computers but they were not as efficient as active directory. Active Directory Services (AD DS) or simply Active Directory (AD) is the repository of management and information, you can manage and have information of every type of information about users, computers, services also it offers great services like load balancing, failover cluster etc and as much as its efficient that much you need to just take it important or serious and take care of it means you need to take backup of the active directory, if someone accidentally delete something or being hacked etc, if domain controller stops working, you should be able to restore the data back. Don’t worry, because we have the solution of every of your problem, let’s move on and do it now.
Backup Active Directory fully in Windows Server 2016
The Active directory backup is not much difficult certainly, you can learn and do it easily.
First of all, you need to install the Windows Backup Server, using Server Manager.
1. Open Server Manager, click on Add roles and features, skip the Welcome page clicking on Next button, then select the server you want to install the backup server on, click on Next button. It is not role, it is a feature, skip the select server role page. In the feature page, scroll down and check the Windows Server Backup, hit next!
2. In the Confirm installation selections page, click on Install button. Take a rest, because it takes a while, no reboot is needed.
3. Now on the Server Manager, click on tools, then click on Windows Server Backup at the end of the list to open the server.
4. Now the server backup is opened, click on backup once. If you like to make a schedule for active directory backup, so click on Backup schedule.
5. Select Different options, click on Next button because Different options is used while we don’t have any schedule for backup.
6. On the Select backup configuration page, two options are available, Full Server and Custom. We just want to take backup of the active directory, so we choose the second option.
7. In the Select items for the backup page, click on Add items button, select system state option and click on Ok button. so you are done here, hit next!
8. It is the time to decide where to restore the backup files, Local drives or shared folder, I choose the local drive.
9. In the Select backup destination page, the place for backup files restoration is specified.
10. We are done, so click on Backup button, take a rest. Let the server do its work.
Ok, hope it was informative and helpful, to restore the Active Directory backup, follow our next article covering restoring active directory’s backup.